Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Vintage Button Wreath


I made this wreath a few years ago. It hangs year 'round on a door handle on our second floor. I made it by sewing vintage white buttons (some are fancy, some are plain shirt buttons) to white ribbon then wrapped the ribbon around a styrofoam wreath form. I tied a long piece of white ribbon around the wreath to form bow and hanger.

closer up view



You can get the styrofoam wreath form at craft stores like Michaels. Just pick the size you want your finished wreath to be. Warning - it takes more buttons and more time to sew than you would think! You might want to start small. My finished wreath is 9" in diameter and it is plenty large enough for hanging from a door handle. I had purchased a couple of large lots of white buttons on eBay and used those. You can buy buttons in bulk at craft stores but buying new buttons meant for garments would get a little expensive for this project.


If you want to try making your own button wreath and need more detailed directions, just leave a comment and I'll get back to you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I think your button wreath is lovely, I have a large jar of red and green buttons and these would look great for a Xmas wreath. If you could send me the instructions that would be wonderful. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a pretty wreath. I keep collecting buttons, thinking I'll do something with them but then I get kind of stingy with using them up on a project. I think I could be persuaded to for something that pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.