Monday, November 14, 2011

At Home

I finished piecing the "background" for my applique block and here is the completed flimsy.  Mr. Main Street obliged by holding it up for photography.


Lynn Wilder, who designed the pattern I used for the applique block, likes to use what she calls a "flange" to set off blocks.  A flange is a narrow strip of fabric inserted into the seam so just about an 1/8" shows, something like piping but flat.  I used the raisin colored ticking stripe for the flange around the applique block.


For the pieced blocks around the applique, I departed from the pattern (The House on Edgewood Lane) because I wanted my finished quilt to be smaller.  I plan to use it as a wall hanging in my kitchen.  I used fabric from a fat quarter pack of a line from Moda called Beach House (came out several years ago).  I used Beach House for the applique block as well, augmented by a more intense red and a darker green for the vine.


The next step is quilting.  I'm giving serious thought to hand quilting this one.  I'm thinking some special quilting in the applique center to emphasis the house and vine, with something simple across the pieced background.  Not sure exactly what yet, though.



3 comments:

  1. So, so pretty!!! It really is very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cathy! That came out just gorgeous! I hope to get the nerve up one day to attempt the applique block for this quilt! I have all of my fabric for this pattern I am just do not have much experience with Applique. You have truly inspired me !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job Cathy! Thank you so much for making my pattern and displaying it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.