Monday, November 7, 2011

Quilts Using 30's Reproduction Fabric

Did you visit Amy's Creative Side for the Bloggers' Quilt Festival?  I enjoy seeing what other quilters make. Some people are so talented!

This year, it got a little expensive because as I clicked through to look at the Festival entry quilts, I had to read the whole blog so I saw lots of quilts that intrigued me and before I quite knew what was what, I had ordered four books from Amazon.com.

The books arrived already (love two-day shipping!) and I'll show you the first two today. They are both by Kay Connors and Karen Earlywine, with quilts in the style of the 30's using reproduction fabric.  I have quite a bit of this fabric in my stash so when I was attracted to some quilts that used it, I realized I could easily justify buying the books (not that I find it hard to justify buying quilting books).


In Fancy To Frugal, it was the cover quilt that initially caught my eye.  I like the Dresden Plate block made up in just about anything but this variation using both the rounded and pointed shapes as well as the unusual center is very appealing.  Below is a picture of the full quilt.  I like the unusual border/edge detail too.  The quilt is named Fancy Dish.




(Sorry for the fuzziness of some of these shots.  I was holding the camera with just one hand while holding the book open and flat with the other; in fact, you may even see my fingers.)

This quilt is called Starlight.  The yellow center of each block is a small sawtooth star.  There is a lot I like about it and while I like it in 30's repros, I can see making it in more modern fabric as well.


The second book is Link To The 30's and there are a number of quilt designs I like here, including the cover quilt. 


I bought it for this pattern, called Chain Link.  I love the design and a prairie point edge finish has long been on my quilting bucket list. 


And look at this one, called Star Flower!  Very impressive with the pieced border, but not for the timid, having both curved seams and set-in seams. 



Back soon with the remaining books!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a good thing to find a reason to buy books. I have a few on thirties quilts and a little stash I've yet to cut into, maybe I need more books, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the info on these two books, both are new to me and I like the projects you selected from them. I think Fancy Dish is worth the cost of the first book alone!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.