Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dresden Plate Construction

I'm making a Dresden Plate quilt.  Information about it can be found in my last post. 

Before making the block, you have to form each wedge.  That's done by sewing across the wider end of each cut wedge.  I just fold mine in half length-wise, then stitch across the end, chain piecing to save time.


Here's what a chain of stitched pieces looks like. 


And here's the back side of a finished wedge.  Now you can see how that pointed end happens. 


I use a wooden point turner to help get sharp points at the top of each wedge. 


I need 300 wedges so there is a lot of chain piecing and pressing ahead.  That's ok; it is a good workday evening sewing project because I can work on it for 20 or 30 minutes after dinner and make real progress by the end of the week.

Cindy at Hyacinth Quilt Designs posted a tutorial for the block as she made her quilt.  You'll find it here.





1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to your progress. A dresden plate quilt has been on my 'to do' list for a long time but hasn't happened.

    Have fun! I'll be peeking over your shoulder. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.