Friday, November 2, 2012

Back in Business!

Our power went out in the storm on Monday evening and we did not have it back until last night (Thursday) - 3 full days without lights, heat, or internet, but I'm not complaining as it could have been much worse.  Many in our area still don't have power and there is devastation everywhere in NJ but we were almost unscathed.  The wind was absolutely ferocious,bringing down tree branches and whole trees, which in turn pulled down power lines.  Utility poles toppled over as well. Our block of Main Street was closed to traffic until Thursday afternoon because downed power lines were lying in the street.  But we did not have flooding in our area.  We are some miles inland from the shore, the rain was not that heavy, and the ground was not already saturated (unlike last year's storm).  Most of the areas that experienced floods were hit by surging water from the ocean or up the Hudson River.  My sister-in-law's house on Long Island, one block from the bay, was flooded on the first floor, with water up to the roof of the car parked in the driveway (the family was on a trip to Toronto at the time of the storm so all are safe). 

In our case, we just experienced first world problems under post-storm third world conditions - how to keep our cell phones and e-readers charged, the monotony of meal after meal composed of peanut butter sandwiches and Halloween candy, and the anxiety of trying to get Miss Main Street's early decision college application due Nov. 1 sent on Oct. 31 without internet service.  Wow, I needed something stronger than a Diet Coke after that process!  The worst was the cold; by Thursday morning the temperature in our house had dropped to 52 degrees (F) and it's a real downer when you feel cold all the time.  Fortunately we have a lot of quilts to wrap up in.

Speaking of quilts, I got some binding done during daylight hours (which are surprisingly short this time of year), and here is my latest finish:


 
If you've been reading this blog for a while, you might remember my project I called Magic Eight Square from back in May.  My tutorial for the block made from layer cake squares is here.   I made this quilt from a layer cake of Lately Arrived From London by Barbara Brackman for Moda, a 19th century reproduction collection, along with some yardage for border and binding. 

I had the quilt long arm quilted with a pantograph design and it was only as I was putting on the binding that I noticed my mistake.  Did you notice?  The two blocks in the upper right corner are reversed.  Too late to fix now and fortunately, it does not totally ruin the quilt.  In fact, if I don't call attention to it, maybe no one will notice.
 


I could name this quilt Numbskull, but I think I will go with Humility, after the Amish concept of the humility block (because only God is perfect).  Also, the name Humility fits the Victorian look of the fabric prints. 

I did more than finish Humility during this adventure.  I'll be back in a couple of days with more to show you.



4 comments:

  1. It was good to see your post Cathy. I'm so glad you weathered the storm without incident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Cathy, I'm so relieved all is well, considering the pictures I've seen of New Jersey. What a great use of your time, putting the binding on a quilt, which I think is lovely and no I would not have ever noticed those two blocks, probably because the red blocks catch the eye, and they are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you made it through the storm OK. Sorry to hear about your area. There will be lots of work ahead to get everything back to normal.
    I don't see the misstake in your quilt unless you mean the one pink piece. My motherinlaw said every quilt should have a mistake as it brings good luck to whoever owns it. I have lots of quilts like that. It usually means I was to much in a hurry. Well good luck in your cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you on line and to know you/family are safe. The pictures we are seeing of your area are so sad. I didn't notice the mistake, quilt is beautiful!

    Gloria
    gyates625@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.