Monday, December 17, 2012

Quilted Christmas Stockings

 
I made Miss Main Street a stocking for her first Christmas, 17 years ago.  It is quilted, with prairie points and a vintage lace cuff at the top.  (It is the red stocking in the center.)  When Reggie joined our family, I made him the stocking on the left.  Last week, I turned out the one on the right, just in time for Dillie's first Christmas.  (For new and intermittent readers, I clarify that while Miss Main Street is our human child, Reggie and Dillie are our dogs, both Pembroke Welsh Corgis.  We have a tendency to treat them like two-year-old human children.)
 

 
The construction of the stockings is very similar to making a tiny quilt.  You can't see it but there is a small amount of quilting on the body of the stocking.  I used a thinner batting so they would not be overly bulky.  And the edges are bound, just like a quilt, with bias binding to go smoothly around the curves of the toe and heel.  I used the tail end of the binding to form the hanging loop.  I used vintage lace from my collection of "cutters" on all three stockings. 
 
I have quite a bit of vintage lace and need to come up with more ways to use it.  Christmas stockings along will not do it as we are certainly not having more children and grand children are a long ways in the future. 
 
 

1 comment:

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.