Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Gadgetry

My remark in last week's post that I have a set of templates, purchased in 2000 and not used to date, drew a chuckle from at least several readers, judging by the comments.  I'm surmising at least some of you have done the same.

I have a weakness for quilting gadgetry.  When I go to quilt shows, I think a conversation bubble follows me around, visible only to the vendors, that says "Prime prospect for quilting gadgets.  Reel her in with a demo."

Here are a few things I've bought over the years and not used (yet):

 
Feathered Star template set

 
Lil' Twister template

 
Leaves Galore set of curved rulers

 
Wheel of Mystery template set - bought two times!

 
Sets of foundation papers for miniature courthouse steps blocks
 
 
And as I located each of these items, I had similar thoughts.  "Oh, I really want to use this soon."  "I really need to give this a try."  "What can I make with this?"
 
Anyway...I've settled on a design for my Paris Flea Market quilt. The center of the quilt will have some simple piecing, then there will be a wide border with a appliqued design of vine and leaves...and maybe some tiny hexagon flowers.  Now that I think about it, this could the opportunity I need to put the Leaves Galore ruler to use!
 
 
 




6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh this morning! I have all of those gadgets and all unused.. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this topic today. It's so hard to resist those demo tables at quilt shows.
    I'm always intriqued by what's new & easy.

    I feel better knowing that I'm not alone in the land of Forgotten Gadgets!
    I hope you are able to find a use for these in your future quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny. I may not have a whole lot of gadgets, but I do have a pile of patterns and projects marked in magazines, etc. that I KNOW I will do SOMETIME, but I think it is same to say probably not, ha ha. At least you do quilt, and not just "acquire." Your plan for Paris Flea Market sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you, even buying the same gadget twice! OH well, there are worse vices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay....I have to say I also have those little "things" gadgets that I just had to have. Should start a monthly club, using a new "old" gadget we have and see what comes out!....:)))
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that leaf ruler but I use it to mark and hand quilt quilts with it not the intended use yet :)
    LOL
    I have also used it to lay out applique vines on a border!!!!

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.