Tuesday, July 2, 2013

And Now For Something Completely Different

As the only sewist in the family, I am often asked to perform those little tasks that require my special skill.  Most frequently this involves shortening a pair of pants, something I never need to do for myself because I'm lucky if I can find them long enough, but I'm an outlier, height-wise, in the family. 

The most recent request came from my mother.  "Could I make her a set of cloth napkins to go with this tablecloth she bought?"  Apparently, the tablecloth did not come with matching napkins.  The tablecloth is sage green floral on a cream background (background of photo below).  I found some fabric in a matching sage green tone-on-tone in my stash, enough to make six napkins, so agreed to do it even though this is like asking Michelangelo to paint your garage. 




To make the napkins, I used this self-binding napkin tutorial I found online.  The green fabric is from a Robyn Pandolph collection from way back when she designed for Moda; the white lining is Kona snow.  The napkins were super easy to make.  You just have to follow the directions exactly, even when they seem a little odd.  My corners came out perfectly.  And all done on the machine, no hand sewing necessary.

 
 
A set of napkins would make a great gift and you could sew them up in an afternoon.  Think Christmas; it is less than six months away.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Cathy,
    I somehow stumbled across your blog and enjoyed seeing your finished projects.
    I too live in NJ, but I'm at the Jersey Shore.....

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect napkins for Mom ! Just beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  3. The napkins turned out very nice. Great idea to make as gifts. Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty napkins & I appreciate the link. Love how they look on the reverse, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These came out beautifully and I'm sure your Mom will love them!!! Thanks for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.