Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Fabric Souvenirs from Hawaii

Visiting quilt shops was not a priority of my vacation.  I was traveling with my mother and my daughter, both non-quilters.  But I did get to one shop on Kauai, Kapaia Stitchery.  It is located on Kuhio Highway (aka Rt. 50/56, the main road that runs about 80% of the way around the island). 

Kapaia Stitchery is a quilt shop and more, with some other needlecraft items (most with an Hawaiian theme) and handmade finished craft items to buy as souvenirs.  They have a large selection of traditional Hawaiian print fabric, quilting weight and heavier weight for use in bags and home decor.  They also have an extensive selection of Asian quilting fabric and lots of batiks.  Kapaia Stitchery's website is not set up for e-retail but does include their phone number so if you are looking for something in particular, I bet they would take a phone order. 

I found these strip sets (like a jelly roll) in colors that remind me of Hawaii and could not resist buying both.  Whatever I do with them, it will be something "different' for me as I rarely use batiks.  But I do like these colors!  I had heard of Island Batiks but had not seen these pre-cuts before so thought I better buy them and not have regrets later.



Orchid on the left, Sea Swept on the right

I've been through my patterns and books, looking for ideas for these strips.  I thought of my Kim Brackett books first; there are a few designs there that I am partial to.  I also have a couple of patterns I bought, intending to use them when the right jelly roll came along.  But I think I've settled on a design by Cindy Lammon of Hyacinth Quilt Designs blog.  She has a chevron quilt under her free patterns tab that I admire very much and that is perfect for this particular pre-cut because it requires two strips of each fabric used.  The sets from Island Batik differ from Moda's jelly rolls in that they contain two strips of each of 20 different fabrics.  I've added a photo to my Quilts To Make In 2014 Pinterest board.  Now, I just need to decide which of the two strip sets to use and make a trip to my LQS for the additional yardage for the project (too bad, lol!).

2 comments:

  1. I've visited that shop, and it is a nice one. Before I moved to Hawaii, I didn't own any batiks. There is something about Hawaii that is so represented by them, though. I began collecting turquoise batiks--with purples, greens, etc. They reminded me of the ocean. I ended up using them for a Kim Brackett myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fabrics are beautiful and the best thing is that when you look at your quilt, you'll always remember your trip!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.