Monday, March 13, 2017

Quilting By Hand Is Slow Going


I didn't intend for such a long time to pass between blog posts.  My current project is hand quilting this butterfly appliqued top (Little Butterflies by Laundry Basket Quilts) and it is taking forever so I haven't really had anything to write about.


It did not help that after a couple of weeks of working on my initial quilting design, a grid created by vertical and horizontal lines, I decided I didn't like it and used a seam ripper to take it all out.  Then I started again with diagonal lines.  There will be a second set going in the other direction so they cross.  I like this look much better.

The blue painters tape is how I mark where to quilt.  It is very easy to follow and no markings to get rubbed out or removed later.  I'm using tape that is 3/4" wide.  I estimate I've finished about 20% of the quilting, but I hope that means this won't take all year to finish.  I just got two quilts back from my longarm quilter and they need binding.  Then, there's all the other projects I have in mind...


 photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

4 comments:

  1. Your patience as a quilter amazes me. First you finished that year long paper piecing project and now hand quilting. I wish I could go at a slower pace and enjoy each minute as you seem to do. Your patience does pay off, your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something very peaceful about hand quilting and love doing but you are right....very slow going. I think it is good for our quilting souls though and enjoy the process Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hand quilting is not a speedy process, but it sure is looking beautiful. Sorry you had to use Jack the Ripper. I like the diagonal lines better too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is going to be an epic piece when you complete it! I have had my days of unsewing so I praise you for your patience!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.